Here’s what’s up
We are looking for writers and music lovers to provide intriguing, thoughtful articles for publication on our website. We’re open to writers of all backgrounds, experienced or not. We believe that the best way to communicate with our audience is with a simple, straight-forward style that lends itself to all kinds of readers. We’re not trying to be Pitchfork here. As Showbox writers, we try to give our readers the information they need about music in Ottawa while maintaining our individual styles. We’re open to new and creative ideas, and looking to build a strong team of Showbox contributors.
How to apply
What we are looking for:
- Those who are enthusiastic, love music, and has a passion for arts and culture in Ottawa.
- Writers who can meet deadlines and deliver timely content as promised.
- Those who can communicate their ideas in a way that makes sense to readers – from simple to sophisticated, we love all kinds of writing styles.
- People that are from the Ottawa region.
- Bilingualism is nice, but not necessary.
- Experience writing about music would be nice too, but not required. We are excited to help students develop their writing portfolios.
- Individuals that can commit to writing for Showbox at least twice per month.
- Individuals that occasionally have interesting ideas to pitch to our editorial team
What to expect
As a contributor, you can expect:
- Feedback on writing and help from our experienced editorial team.
- A chance to get to network with industry personnel, including bands, promoters, label reps, venues, and more.
- Gain real-world music journalism experience, including conducting interviews, pitching content, keeping track of music news in Ottawa, and more.
- Media passes to all events being covered for Showbox, including major festivals like Bluesfest and Cityfolk, as well as local shows around town.
- Although we will be taking on contributors on a volunteer basis to begin, we will be aiming to negotiate pay-per-post with committed writers after a strong rapport has been built.
If you think you’d be a good fit, send us an email to music [at] ottawashowbox.com explaining some of your background and, if possible, a sample of your writing. We look forward to hearing from you!